Welcome All! It's time to fasten your seat belts and get ready for this ride through Penn GSE!
"These are my personal views based on my experiences and do not necessarily reflect those of GSE.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Life as an Education Policy Student


Quantitative vs. Qualitative

(Flashback)
During the Education Policy Orientation one of the professors mentioned this huge debate between researchers on quantitative vs. qualitative research. She also mentioned often times graduate students also take a stance on whether they are qualitative or quantitative. But rather than telling us which once would be most beneficial to the field of research, she told to take both qualitative and quantitative courses while we are here at GSE that way we can be well versed in the different analysis pathways that are available in both arenas. With this recommendations in mind, I registered for an Introduction to Statistics Class.

(Current)

This semester I am taking an Introduction to Statistics Course led by one of the Education Policy Professors which find extremely beneficial. Since he is one of the Education Policy students is able to address the continent for education policy lenses. We are currently learning how to use a Statistical Software called STATA, which allows us to analysis the data from a descriptive and quantitative aspect. Then, through our homework assignments were are given the opportunity to apply the knowledge we are acquiring in class and use the Statistical software in meaningful ways.

Though my courses are very informative, I would rather have classes such as Introduction to Statistics more than once a week. Since the content is so in-depth it would be beneficial to have this class twice or even three times a week instead for two and half hours. For instance, I have experienced multiple classes when the my professor was unable to finish the lecture notes because of the discussions and questions that were generated in class. However, if we were able to have two classes if would allow us to not only engage clarifying remarks and questions but also address all of the necessary content.

Nevertheless, I have gain a more much enriched understanding of how statistics works in conjunction with research. In fact, for this upcoming spring semester I plan on taking an additional Statistics course so that I may continue to develop my quantitative skills and this upcoming summer I will be registered for a qualitative course. So as a future Ed Policy students I would recommend that you also keep your options open and explore both qualitative and quantitative research.

No comments:

Post a Comment